Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Biracial etiquette and hair?

I'm biracial (black and white) but i have more of a white person texture hair. I straighten it and always get compliments 'cause I style it nice and it's always a good color. Sometimes it's dark but usually it's light brown and blonde. I have light tan skin so people always ask me, ';what are you?'; It's an awkward question but I don't think people know that. They see my tan skin and ';white people hair'; and get confused. I understand that but people that don't even know stop me in the hallways at school to touch my hair and ask. Sometimes people are polite but usually it comes off as rude. Does anyone else have this problem? I don't think i'm being overly sensitive.



Also, when my hair is wet it's curly. I straighten it with a Chi so over the years, the curl has loosened a little but it's still realllyyy curly. People say it's pretty but it's terrible to keep up with. That's why I don't wear it curly. PLus it shrivels to my head after liek an hour. Also, I use heat protecter but straightening it still leaves split ends. I looked into getting that Matrix hair treatment thing done that basically straightens and it i went for a consult. The lady said that she couldn't do it because i had a few skinny highlights but other than that. i'd be a perfect canidate for it. They're only a few highlights toward the top of my head but i said I understood that I'd come back when they grew out. But i'm getting impatient. I'm in high school and take AP classes and volunteer. I don't have time to spend an hour and a half on my hair every 2 days. And because of how my hair is, I can't go days and days without washing it. It gets greasy. My mom's blonde and fair so i think I got it from her. is there any other treatments you know that would help? Or that i should try?





WOW sorry that was so long! Biracial etiquette and hair?
Well, I'm not biracial, but I guess people do come up to me and look at my hair and ask what I did to it. It's sort of annoying but it's sort of a compliment too. If I want to answer, I'll just answer, but otherwise, I just say oh, I guess it's just a good day and that I have to go.



For the hair thing, there's no treatments I know of that would be neat and clean to do. I guess you just have to wait for it to grow out and get the treatment and in the meantime, just wash it as often as you do and take care of it as often as you do. While you're doing your hair, you can study the notes from school, or listen to music like I do.



Good luck. Biracial etiquette and hair?
First of all. congrats on your achivements in school!! That is awesome. I am sorry, but you'll have to wait until the highlights grow out to get any real relief. Just keep doing what you are, as that is the best way. It won't be long till those highlights grow out!


Many of us are blends. When people ask, I tell them that it took 9 different ethnicities and two races to produce me, even more for my children. We are our own U.N. The texture of my hair has changed over the years. To keep up with it, I've found that neutral henna and hot oil treatments are effective (an oil treatment used before washing your hair). Used in place of hair conditioner 1-2x/week, it repairs hair %26amp; keeps it shiny, but not greasy. Lately, I've found that Fructis fortifying deep conditioner used 1x/week works well. (The neutral henna can be hard to find. Sometimes beauty supply stores have it).



My eldest daughter has hair that sounds like yours. It is quite lovely. Pantene 2-in-1 sheer volume works for her. Those of us who have spent hundreds of dollars in perms to get our hair to look like yours have difficulty understanding why people spend just as much to have their hair look like ours (also a lot of work to keep up with), but I suppose it's human nature!
well i am biracial, and have the same hair as you, i too starighten it constanly, but i also give it a break, and let it air dry, pull it up in a loose bun, the curls and waves make it really nice. I use Olive oil sheen for my hair, on any given day, my natural hair, and all real, is down to my hips. You need to give it a break, and believe me, it is more of a self look that you(we) are worried about than just letting it be....

No comments:

Post a Comment