Friday, November 19, 2010

How can I tame my natural curls?

So I need some help trying to figure out how to properly style my long, naturally curly hair (and by curly I mean ringlets - not extremely tight though).

I've already learned the basics: shampoo less (and with good shampoo), condition daily, ring out excess water, use a pic or fingers, use my product, and let it air dry. For my product I use a little biosilk or chi serum. I noticed this really helps to tame the define the curls yet keep it soft. However I need to use a little harispray to keep the frizz under control. My problem is that at first my hair has ringlets, and then as the day goes on it starts to loosen up (and for those that have naturally curly hair, that in between look of perfectly defined curls and a little looser does not look great). Usually, it's the next day my curls look the best. But then of course sections are frizzy from sleeping on it.

Overall, what I'm trying to figure out is how to get the natural or next day look right away. I've heard about showering at night (I always shower in the am just to style my hair) and styling and letting it dry then, but how can I sleep without messing it up?

Any recommendations on your entire process for getting natural looking curls it would be greatly appreciated :)How can I tame my natural curls?
I have curly, fine dry hair. Oh, the joy. When it looks good, it looks great. However, this is rare.



I have tried alot of things and this is what works for me.



1) I believe that the ';no shampoo'; practice is great and it works for my thicker-haired curly girl friends. Basically, you don't use shampoo cause to be honest it is sort of a rigged game. First, a person uses detergent to get rid of ';oils'; and then we use a conditioner to make hair soft again? The idea of ';curly girl'; is a person rinses hair, trying not to disturb natural curl pattern, and uses conditioner to massage scalp and on ends. Brown Sugar can be used as scalp exflotient when needed (id scalp itches or feels icky).



Try to air dry as much as possible. Try not to disturb natural curl pattern - i.e. don't scrunch hair alot. Can use clips to lift roots up to get more volume as hair dries.



2) the use of a ';refresher'; during the day. A spray bottle with a little lavendar oil in it can be used to spray at ';wilting'; curls and they will get ';springier'; and more shapely. This does not work for me, but does for many others. I suppose you don't have to use lavender oil.



3) As someone with fine hair, if I don't shampoo sometimes, it is a sad sight. What I do try to do is just use it at roots. I try not to use it every shampoo. I try non-sulfate ones. There are a few.



4) I know completely what you mean about sleeping on it and SILK pillowcases are a god-send. They really really work. Supposedly used alot for preventing wrinkles, they work amazing for hair. All night long there is friction from head (hair) on pillowcases. I have found so much less frizz and tangles with silk cases. Satin, whatever - something that provides some ';slip'; while sleeping.



5) try putting in some product - Phyto 7 I adore- and braiding it before bed.



6) Once a week I put on the cotton pillowcases and sleep with olive oil in hair. It is amazing! I do use a mild ';real'; shampoo the day after (especially on roots) but the hair is so ';happy'; the next few days, less frizz, more shine and suppleness. You could try just putting oil or deep conditioner on ends the night before for better AM wash and style.



7) Basically, don't fall into the ';hydrating'; shampoo concept - it is vicious cycle.



8) you know your hair, but hairspray seems contraindicated and is usually drying. Maybe look for another product to ';keep'; curl? I do like the Bumble %26amp; Bumble curl cream, Phyto 7 mixed with a little liquid gel, or some of the morrocon oil mixed with liquid gel.



Curly Girls of the World Unite!How can I tame my natural curls?
First start out with a really good cut by a stylist that understands curly hair.

Shampoo and conditioner should be highly moisturizing.

My favorite curl product is ';Boing'; by Unite Eurotherapy (a salon brand)...the best I've ever tried!

I air dry and scrunch, barely even finger combing, and don't use combs or brushes. If I use a hair dryer it's always on low with a diffuser.
With a Chair and Whip.
Let My Marines cut your hair.......
im tellin you, go to naturallycurly.com and lurk in the forums, you will learn a lot about curly hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment